It’s April and that means it’s Poetry Month! I’m doing a series this month called Music and Poetry where I’ll be sharing lessons, tips, and resources for combining music and poetry into some great learning times with your kids.
Today I’m happy to share a review of Hymns and Creeds, a New Literature Guide from 7SistersHomeschool. If you aren’t familiar with the 7Sisters, they provide lots of great curriculum for high school (mostly) and have a new course for parents called Homeschool High School: You Can Do It as well as a brand new podcast on iTunes called Homeschool Highschool!
This purpose of this new literature study guide is to help your student learn about some great hymns and creeds of the Christian faith. Both of these types of literature can fit into the Poetry genre. This is a perfect month to study them.
The guide itself is a digital download and is 11 pages long. It’s appropriate for all levels of high school students and includes directions on how to use it with Basic/Average, College Prep, and Honors levels.
Here is what the high school student will study:
- What is a hymn?
- Some of the most well-know hymns
- Choose 5 and research them online
- Answer 7 questions (essay style) for each hymn
- Supplemental creative writing activity
- What is a creed?
- Creeds in Scripture
- The Apostles’ Creed with questions to answer
- The Nicene Creed with questions to anwer
- Supplemental activity about 2 other creeds
I was impressed with this short study guide. There are 3 things I like in particular
- It covers a subject of literature often left out by most teachers. Students will do literary analysis of hymns and creeds.
- It can be completed fairly quickly–in my opinion, 2 weeks if they work steadily and a month if the student puts more in-depth time and study into it.
- It can help a student in their faith walk by analyzing the words of the hymns and creeds of godly Christian men and women.
Hymns and Creeds Literature Guide from 7SistersHomeschool is only $4.99. Pick up a copy and combine music and poetry this month!
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.)