The Most Fun and Exciting Books and Websites for Studying Music Appreciation or Music History
Click here for FREE music lessons:
Disclosure: I get commissions for purchases made through affiliate links in this post.
Use the following books and websites when studying music appreciation or music history.
Online Course Site
If you are looking for an easy way to learn the subject, head over to Learn.MusicinOurHomeschool.com to find a variety of music appreciation and music history self-paced online courses, such as
- 15-Minute Music Lessons for Elementary
- Intro to Musicals for Elementary
- American Music for Elementary
- World Music for Elementary
- Music Appreciation: Middle Ages Thru Classical Period for High School
- Music Appreciation of the Romantic Era for High School
- 20th Century Music Appreciation for High School
(The ones marked with an * are my favorites.)
Good for All Ages:
- This orchestra provides live (online through YouTube during the pandemic) concerts
- Especially check out the Instrument Guides and the Family Concerts (also on their YouTube channel)
- Naxos Records is the world’s leading classical music label
- Use this site to search by composers and hear their music right there.
- Here is a great survey of Music History through the ages.
- An online encyclopedia. Search composer’s name, style of music, etc.
Upper Level (Teens through Adult):
- Find composer biographies, music and composers in the news, and a lots of resource links.
- They have a weekly podcast where they meet with artists, composers, performers, and scholars who share their art and love for what they are doing.
- This site provides biographies for musicians and groups such as bands. There are a lot of 20th and 21st Century options here if you’re studying more modern music history.
- Learn about musical theater here. This page provides links to individual musicals to learn more about them.
- One of my all-time favorite music sites for kids!
- Includes games, biographies, podcast episodes about composers and specific pieces.
- Online games and activities to explore sounds and music composition
- Their “Learn and Listen” videos are great for instruments, composers, and “building blocks of music.”
- Great site, but requires Flash (won’t work after Dec. 2020)
- Learn about instruments, listen to music, etc.
- Fun games, but requires Flash (won’t work after Dec. 2020)
Download a PDF copy of this list here: