Yes, I know December is one of those months of the year when we are tired! So, this month I’ve rounded up Five Super Fun Ways to Enjoy Music Education in December that are also super easy!
Click here for FREE music lessons:
Music Education in December!
Do a Family Sing-Along
My daughter and I recorded a sing-along video of “The Twelve Days of Christmas” so you can sing along with us here!
Need the lyrics? Get them here for free:
Head here for a FULL printable pack including lyrics to many more Christmas songs and “The Twelve Days of Christmas” coloring pages!
Make A Homemade Jingle Bell Instrument
These homemade jingle bell instruments are so easy to make!
Just get a set of jingle bells for crafts from your favorite store. (You can get them from Amazon here.)
Then, all you need to do is find your favorite way to turn them into an instrument.
- Put a string, yarn, or pipecleaner through the holes.
- Attach that string or pipcleaner to a stick to make a jingle stick.
- Experiment with the different sounds according to how many different jingle bells are played at a time.
- Experiment with the different sounds according to the various sizes of the jingle bells if you can find them in different sizes!
- Make a jingle bracelet or anklet with velcro — and dance with them!
Now, play your jingle bells while you sing “Jingle Bells,” “Silver Bells,” or “Sleigh Bells” Christmas Songs!
If you’d like some other homemade instrument ideas, see here.
Celebrate Hanukkah with Music
This year (2020) Hanukkah begins on December 10 and goes through December 18. I have a really neat music lesson for Hanukkah in my Winter Music Lessons for Holidays and Special Days online course.
Here is a great song to learn more about Hanukkah:
- Learn where the holiday comes from (Maccabean war)
- Traditions: spin the dreidel, celebrate for 8 nights, make potato latkes, light candles on the menorah
And, to learn even more, here is a free music lesson for Israel!
Go to a Christmas Performance
In a normal year, I’d encourage you to go to a Christmas concert, Lessons and Carols service, Nutcracker Ballet, or performance of The Messiah. This year, you might just have to do these online. Here are some links and videos below!
Lessons and Carols
I have some really fun ideas for this Nutcracker here.
Did you know The Messiah was originally written for Easter? It’s often played and sung at Christmas now, though. Learn more about Handel and his Messiah here.
Learn a New Christmas Song
Here are all my 15-Minute Music Lesson Freebies, and I have quite a few of Christmas songs. Do your kids know all of these? If not, take 15 minutes and learn one today!
What are your favorite ways to do music education in December? Please share in a comment below!